A Brief History of Faculty of Engineering
Established in 1963, a few years after the founding of the university, Faculty of Engineering is one of the oldest faculties at King Mongkut’s University of Technology North Bangkok (KMUTNB). The Faculty first offered programs in mechanical technology and electrical technology to prospective high-school graduates in 1964. Then in 1969, the programs were expanded to include vocational-school graduates. The first two departments; mechanical technology and electrical technology, were later renamed Department of Mechanical Engineering and Department of Electrical Engineering, respectively.
Since its founding, the faculty was generously supported by a series of collaborative projects between the governments of Thailand and the Federal Republic of Germany. The involvements of both governments led to a drastic expansion of the faculty in terms of the number of curricula and its affiliations:
- In 1973, a diploma degree in industrial technology was offered in the field of Material Handling Technology
- The Department of Production Technology was established in 1978.
- By 1979, the Faculty of Engineering officially consisted of six subsidiaries: Office of Secretariat, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Department of Electrical Engineering, Department of Industrial Technology, Department of Material Handling Technology, Department of Production Technology. In addition, the faculty began to offer a Bachelor program in industrial electrical technology, which would later develop into the Department of Industrial Electrical Technology.
- In 1980, the Department of Industrial Technology was upgraded to another faculty titled ‘College of Industrial Technology’
- The Department of Structural Technology was established in 1983.
- The Department of Chemical Engineering and the Department of Production Engineering were established in 1984.
By 1989, the Faculty offered the following four-year and two-year programs:
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Production Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Industrial Chemistry
- Bachelor of Industrial Technology in Material Handling Technology
- Bachelor of Industrial Technology in Production Technology
- Bachelor of Industrial Technology in Electrical Industrial Technology
In 1995, the Department of Industrial Engineering was the last department established in the faculty at the Bangkok campus. The faculty also expanded to the Prachinburi campus by offering a program in instrumentation engineering by the Department of Industrial Electrical Technology in 1995, and a program in computer engineering by the Department of Electrical Engineering in 2006.
After a series of the rebranding by the department, the faculty now offers more than 30 programs from nine departments:
- Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE)
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE)
- Department of Production Engineering (PE)
- Department of Chemical Engineering (ChE)
- Department of Industrial Engineering (IE)
- Department of Civil Engineering (CE)
- Department of Material Handling Engineering (MHE)
- Department of Material and Production Technology Engineering (MPTE)
- Department of Instrumentation and Electronics Engineering (IEE)